German Food

I visited Germany several years ago and I remember it as being terribly
difficult to find vegan food. I think I lived on bread (which was truly
wonderful) and wine (which was also fantastic). I was in a town called
Aafshatenburg (I'm not sure of the spelling) which is clearly not the hub of
vegetarian cuisine. Where should I have been to find vegan food and what
kind of vegan food do they serve in Germany?

Carolyn Stein