From: Faith M. Senie [mailto:fms@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2001 10:05 PM
To: fatfree@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Margarine

At 10:36 AM 9/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
>What do you use for margarine?  Please suggest brand names of very low fat,
>dairy-free margarines.  Thanks.

I don't know that there are many low-fat margarines out there (they're all
pretty much 100% calories from fat anyways, unless they're adding in
fillers), and the few that exist taste a bit odd to me.  For what use do
you want it?  If for a bread or muffin spread, I use jams or fruit spreads,
hummous (chickpea spread, which can be made fatfree), or just plain nothing
at all.

If for baking, I substitute applesauce in most places I would normally use
margarine or butter.

If for frying, I use non-stick pans, a little water, or a scant teaspoon of
olive oil.

Faith