Cooked Cabbage with Onion & Apple

Greetings!

Okay, I'm finally going to share my favourite self-developed recipe for
cooked cabbage.  I remember growing up with my mother making a Polish-style
cooked cabbage, which was basically cabbage, water, onion, apple and sugar.
 From that, I developed this, and I really, really like it.  I make this in
a large skillet-type frying pan (the size that you can do a whole meal in).
I like to have the leftovers, as it reheats really well in the microwave.

Ingredients:

Some coarsely chopped or shredded cabbage (about 1/3 a head)

1 Lg or 2 small cooking onions (cut into wedges)

1 Lg or 2 small apples (coarsly chopped, skins on)

1 - 1 1/2 cups orange juice

1 tsp ginger root (optional)

2 tsp cornstarch

Pepper to taste

Method:

- Pour OJ into pan (med-high heat)

- Add pepper, ginger root, onions

- When onions are slightly softened, add all the cabbage.  Cover and let
steam until somewhat cooked (about 5-7 minutes).  Add more OJ if you'd like
more liquid (which will be thickened later)

- Add apples

- Mix cornstarch in a small container with just enough cold water to blend
it, then pour and stir into cabbage.

-Continue to stir until thickened and cornstarch is cooked, but apples
haven't gone to mush (just another minute or so)

- Serve as a side vegetable.  Especially good with ham, if you're a
meat-eater.

Cheers!
Vivian Yorke
Kingston, Ontario, Canada