Re: Recipe request: Tuscan Bean Soup

Here is the recipe from "Everyday cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish," at p.69.
I have made this many times, and it is always a hit with everyone. You can
use other beans (white, pinto, etc.) and other vegetables in season. The
recipe says it "serves 4" but I served 6 last night and had a couple of
portions leftover!!!! This is also made very quickly if you use canned or
already cooked beans, and cut the veggies small for quicker cooking, so
it's great for mid-week dinners. Mangia!

Anne Washburn
quaker@xxxxxxxx

TUSCAN VEGETABLE MINESTRONE <T>

2 c. diced green cabbage
1/2 c. diced onion
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced peeled baking potato (NOTE: I never peel potatoes!)
1 c. canned ground tomatoes or diced tomatoes diced finer by hand
5 c. Vegetable Broth, home-made or store-bought (NOTE: I use 1 can
store-bought and make up the difference with water)
1/2 c. diced zucchini
1 (15-oz) can kidney beans or 2 c. home-cooked kidney beans with 3/4 c.
liquid
1/4 c. dried elbow macaroni (NOTE: I used 1 c. of ditalini; can also use
rice)
1 T minced fresh oregano
Salt and pepper

In a large pot, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, celery, potato, tomatoes,
and vegetable broth. Bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover, adjust
heat to maintain a simmer, and cook until vegetables are half done, about
15 minutes. Add zucchini, beans with their juice, and macaroni. Cover and
simmer until vegetables are tender and pasta is al dente, about 15
minutes. Add oregano. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

Serving size: 1.75 c.
Calories: 184
Fat: 0.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg