Reconstituting Powdered Milk / Breading

When I worked at a food bank, I learned this little secret (as a kid, we
were stationed in Europe and had to drink reconstituted Carnation skimmed
milk when they ran out of American homo at the commissary), and some
mothers made it taste like real milk (mine didn't! yuch! blech!!!)...

Before you go to bed, boil the amount of water you will need, then add the
skimmed milk powder and mix well. When cool, chill overnight before
serving.

For coffee creamer, you'd make a lot less, but double the amount of powder.
Add a little essense of something nice or grated nutmeg if company's
coming.

****
Gretchen's breading looks great, so I'll add two more...

For a 'southern' flavour, try

1 c. unbleached white flour
1 t. onion powder
1 t. parsley
1 t. paprika
1 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

But for a lighter and slightly exotic breading, try

1/2 c. sifted chick pea flour ('garam flour' or 'besan' at Asian stores)
1/2 c. unbleached white flour

with

1 T. mixed herbs
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

or

2 t. curry powder or garam masala
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. cayenne

I like herbes de province (more flavour than fines herbes), Old Bay, and
Spike, but fish breaded in the curry mixture is wonderful.

Sylvia 8-)  +

<>< Sylvia Genders LeReverend <>< <>< <>< sylvia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <><
<>< "Carve your name on the hearts of others, not on marble." --Anonymous"
<>< <>< http://itrc.on.ca/staff/sylvia.html <><