Re: Milwaukee restaurants

To Donald Stowe looking for good LF veggie restaurants in Milwaukee.  Here
are a few suggestions - at all of them you'll need to ask them to leave off
the oil, ask what's fatfree, etc.  Except for salads, you just can't find
fatfree that easily.

1) Beans and Barley - 1901 E. North Ave.
   Our local natural foods restaurant. Not all vegetarian or fatfree, but
   many choices.  Check out the veggie burrito and stir fry (you'll need to
   ask for it sans oil).  Great salad and ff ginger dressing.
2) City Market - E. Capitol Dr. a half block east of Maryland Ave.
   A little bread store with great food. Delish grilled veggie sandwich (ask
   them to leave off the oil - and dairy if you're vegan) and other choices.
   The vegan dish is the Mediterranean pasta (made for my daughter after she
   commented that nothing on the menu was vegan :)
3) Heinemann's - various locations around the city
   Great for breakfast or lunch.  Menu lists calories and fat grams.
4) La Casita - 2014 N. Farwell
   Great Mexican with a lite fare section. Try the lowfat black bean cakes
   - my favorite!
5) Outpost Natural Foods - 100 E. Capitol
   Our natural food co-op.  Has a deli with a few tables.
6) Wells Street Station - 117 E. Wells St. (downtown)
   Mostly all vegetarian dishes.
Also, most of the Chinese, Thai and middle eastern restaurants will accomodate
you fatfree-wise. Actually so will the pizza places (especially the Trattorias
- one downtown, one on Oakland Ave.)

That should keep you well-fed for the weekend! Enjoy your stay! Bring warm
clothes - and gloves!

Natalie in Milwaukee
natalie.frankel@xxxxxxxxxx