Back Again!

Hi, troops!  I'm back.  I just found out recently that we're online again!  I thought it would start up again automatically when we came up...my mistake.  Anyhow, reading all your wonderful recipes once more has gotten me back in the mood for cooking!  So here's mt first contribution to the "new" fatfree.
I missed you all!
--Ruth Hoffmanruthhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                Potatoes Anna (with Two Kinds of Potatoes)

Recipe By     : Ruth C. Hoffman
Categories    : Entree                           Fatfree
                Low-Fat                          Main Dishes, Vegetarian
                Side Dishes                      Tested
                Vegetable Dishes

   3      medium        potatoes -- peeled or unpeeled
   1      medium        sweet potato -- peeled or unpeeled
                        balsamic vinegar or broth for sauteing
   3                    garlic cloves -- chopped
   1      large         onion -- chopped
   1      tsp           Butter Buds® -- or other substitute
                        salt
                        freshly ground pepper
                        parsley -- or
                        green onions -- for garnish

For best results, this dish requires a burner-to-oven pan or shallow dish.  Slice potatoes thinly, keeping the two colors separate.  Chop the onion and garlic.  Saute onions and garlic slowly in the balsamic vinegar, taking care not to let the garlic burn, until they onions are golden brown.  Remove from pan and set aside.  Spray the pan with cooking spray, then arrange the white potato slices in the bottom of the pan so they overlap slightly and cover the whole bottom of the dish.  Spread the onions and garlic over the top, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then with the Butter Buds, I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter, or other butter/margarine substitute.  (The goal is not glop, but just a gentle hint of rich flavor.)  Arrange the sweet potato slices on top, again overlapping them slightly.  Salt and pepper, then spray very lightly with cooking spray--just enough to encourage the top to brown, no more.

Cook over medium heat, 15 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom.  Meanwhile preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Transfer the dish to the bottom rack of the oven and bake for another 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, pressing down on the layers gently with a spatula every so often.  Invert carefully onto a plate, garnish with parsley or green onions, and cut into wedges to serve.  Serves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side dish.

Serving Ideas : Serve with baked marinated tofu "steaks" & wedges of tomato

NOTES : I adapted this from a recipe in the October, 1997 issue of Good Housekeeping by eliminating the fat (quite a bit of it).  It was delicious--now I wish I'd made twice as much.  Original recipe called for 6 white potatoes (about 2 lbs) and 4 medium sweet potatoes (aalso about 2 lbs).  They only used 1 onion for that amount of potatoes, but I like onions, so I used the whole onion for half the amount of potatoes.