Re:French toast problem

>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:03:17 -0400
>From: "Julie" <dgb1234@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: French toast problem
>
>Hello all!
>
>I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for French toast. I am a
>lacto-vegetarian and I haven't had any luck finding a recipe that doesn't
>use eggs. Any recipes or suggestions are welcome.
>
>Thanks in advance!!!!!!
>
>Julie

Here are a couple.

Shari

Name:  French Toast (Vegan)
Source:  Vegetarian Times 12/95
Servings: 4

2 c sliced bananas
3/4 c vanilla soymilk
1 tsp cinnamon
 OR
3/4 tsp cinnamon PLUS
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
8 slices day-old whole wheat bread
non-stick cooking spray (original recipe had 1 tsp canoloa oil)

1.  Place bananas, soymilk, cinnamon and cardamom (if using) in a blender
or food processor; blend until smooth.

2.  Pour mixture into a pie plate.  Dip bread into mixture, turning to coat
both sides.  Scrape off excess batter.

3.  Spray a non-stick skillet or griddle lightly with non-stick cooking
spray.  When hot, add coated bread slices.  Brown on one side, 2 to 3
minutes. Turn; brown other side.

4.  Transfer to plates; serve immediately with maple syrup or other topping.

Makes 8 slices.

French Toast

1 1/2 c soy milk
2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
non-stick cooking spray (original recipe had 1 Tbsp vegetable oil)
4-6 bread slices (thick-sliced crusty white or wheat bread)

Mix the soy milk, flour, yeast, sugar and cinnamon vigorously with a wire
whisk or beater. Pour the mixture inot a wide, shallow bowl or pie pan.

Spray a frying pan or skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat. Dip a
bread slice into the mixture and then place in skillet. Fry each side until
golden brown and crispy, about 5 to 7 minutes total. Remove from pan and
keep warm while cooking remaining slices.

Serve hot with maple syrup.

Serves 2.
Preparation time: 20 minutes.
Source: *The Compassionte Cook* by PETA and Ingrid Newkirk (c 1993)

Shari Clayton Brownlee
mailto:brownlee_s@xxxxxxxxxxxxx