Vegan Stroganoff x2, Vegan Sour Cream, Bouillon

        (Posted this yesterday, but my provider was having routing probs and
I never saw it distributed.  I still don't know if it got out, but here it
is again.)

       I just posted these recipes to the VegFood list (in response to a
request), so if anyone's subscribed there... my apologies for the repetition!
        Here are two vegan stroganoff recipes.  One requires cooking
alcohol, fake sour cream and fake meat (although with these ingredients you
could safely adapt any ordinary stroganoff recipe to vegan), and I've one
that's a vegan wholefood recipe (no wine/sherry, no mock-anything).  Some
people don't like to cook with alcohol or meat alternatives, finding
analogues either expensive, too meaty, or a poor substitute.  Both are
excellent over artichoke noodles, although any broad, flat noodle, and even
rice or potatoes, is good too.
        In the first recipe button mushrooms will do fine, seeing as you've
got a beef analogue as the main component.  Portabellos are my favourite
mushrooms for the second recipe, sliced nice and thick and cooked gently
(but not overcooked).  A little bit of shitake mixed in, either dried or
fresh, also goes a long way (as well, the recipes call for veggie broth, and
the rehydrating liquid from dried mushrooms is excellent once it's been
sieved through a fine cloth).  The delicate mushrooms are obviously out, as
they disintegrate in so heavy a dish.
        I've included a broth recipe because it works so well in these
dishes, (and saves me a fortune on packaged broths that often have
undesirable ingredients).  It's similar to the recipe Michelle posted from
the "Now and Zen Epicure" cookbook, with just a few changes.

Enjoy!
Jacqueline

*'Beef' Stroganoff* (serves 4 to 6)

saute/ liquid of your choice, or cooking spray
1 large onion, chopped
6 cups mushrooms, sliced (a mixture is nice, if not buttons will do)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
6 veggie burgers, cubed (your favourite low fat brand) -or-
        equivalent TVP chunks, rehydrated in a good, strong stock
1/2 cup cooking sherry
1/2 cup cooking wine (white)
a little stock (your favourite brand, or see recipe below)
6 tablespoons mock sour cream (your favourite brand, or see recipe below)
1/2 teaspoon mild mustard

        Saute/ the mushrooms and paprika in a sprayed pan, or in your
favourite saute/ liquid (I keep 1/2 cup white cooking wine, 1/2 cup red
cooking wine and 1 cup veggie broth in the fridge, and use it ad lib).  Add
the flour and the cubed veggie burgers, stir well and brown for two minutes.
        Pour in the wine and sherry, simmer *very* gently for 10-15 minutes.
Stir often and add a little stock if the mixture seems dry.
        Add the sour cream and mustard, then heat through but do not boil or
simmer (I usually do this with the pan off the heat).  Serve immediately.

*Mock Sour Cream* (makes 1 1/2 cups)

1 (10.5 oz.) container silken tofu (1% Mori-Nu)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
1 teaspoon brown rice syrup (I've used amazake fairly successfully)
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, or salt-free seasoning

optional additions:     2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
                        1 teaspoon mild mustard
                        Umeboshi vinegar in place of the cider vinegar
                        2 tablespoons canola or soy oil
                        2 tablespoons tahini -or-
                                a couple of drops of roasted sesame oil
                        spices of your choice

        Blend in a food processor until completely smooth.  A pinch of dill
and thyme works well for use in the stroganoff recipes.  This makes a great
chip-dip when mixed with chives and garlic.  The oil and tahini options are
obviously higher in fat; look to the recipe you're using the sour cream in
to decide if the overall dish is going to have an acceptable amount of
calories from fat.

*Mushroom Stroganoff* (serves 2 - 3)

saute/ liquid of your choice, or cooking spray
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1.5 cups)
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (equivalent fresh if you prefer)
5 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced (a mixture of meaty mushrooms)
2.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
splash of balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon paprika (sweet Hungarian)
pinch of thyme
1 cup vegetable broth (your favourite brand, or see recipe below)
2 tablespoons tahini
fresh cracked pepper
1 small tomato, seeded, peeled and diced (optional)
2 tablespoons minced, fresh parsley.

        Saute/ the onion and garlic in a sprayed pan, or in your favourite
saute/ liquid, until soft.  Add the mushrooms and continue saute/ing until
they soften.  Add lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, tarragon, paprika and
thyme, and mix well.
        Blend vegetable broth and tahini, pour into the pan and mix well.
Remove from heat, and season with pepper to taste.  Stir in tomato and serve
immediately, garnished with parsley.
        Although the tahini is high in fat, if you saute/ with broth or
wine, and then serve over rice ('Fantastic Foods' White Basmati is what I
tested it with), this recipe comes in at about 20% calories from fat.  The
flavour is absolutely essential to the dish.

*Broth Blend*

1 1/2 cups flake-type nutritional yeast ("good tasting" yeast)
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons salt, or salt-free seasoning (to your taste)
4 teaspoons onion powder
3 teaspoons dried parsley
3 teaspoons sage
3 teaspoons celery seed
2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon
1 1/2 teaspoons rosemary
1 1/4 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground dill seed, 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

        Pulverize in a food processor (to avoid getting a mouthful of those
rosemary spikes).  Store the powdered broth in the fridge, as nutritional
yeast keeps best there.  If you can't find flake-type yeast, but only the
powdered "good tasting" yeast (not brewer's yeast or baking yeast), use half
as much.  This recipe doubles (and even triples) easily, and will keep
indefinitely.
        Use as a seasoning, as a gravy base, for soup or stock, or add to
the cooking water of rice, veggies or potatoes.  I prefer to keep the salt
in the mixture low, so that I can use it in a recipe that calls for tamari
or miso without having to worry about overall saltiness.
        To make a broth, mix 1/2 to 1 tablespoon with 1 cup boiling water
(adjust the salt to your taste).  For a beefy broth, mix 2 teaspoons of the
mixture with 1 1/2 teaspoons dark miso and 1 cup boiling water.

Recipes adapted from "The Uncheese Cookbook", "The American Vegetarian
Cookbok", "Home Cooking", and "Now and Zen Epicure".