Recipe: Eggplant Bean Stew

Well, I'm on my second helping of this dish and have 8 more servings
packed away in the freezer.  It's based on Gabe Mirkin's "Famous
Bean-Eggplant-Tomato Casserole".  Modified because my dry beans turned
out too old to use, I bought a different tomato product (crushed
tomatoes rather than whole plum), and the full recipe wouldn't fit in
my huge Dutch Oven pot (the larger stockpot was in the dishwasher :-P)
so I used fewer beans and only 2 cans of tomatoes rather than 3.
Anyway, it really hit the spot, I was starving.

Based on a recent review of crushed tomatoes in "Cooks Illustrated", I
bought their top-rated brand: Progresso Crushed Tomatoes.

Eggplant Bean Stew

2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 green peppers, chopped
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (Progresso brand recommended)
2 T fresh oregano, chopped
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 t cayenne pepper or to taste (I like it hot)
2 eggplants, skin left on, diced
3 cans kidney beans, drained (4 cans would be fine as well)

In a very large pot or stockpot, bring onions, garlic, green peppers,
tomatoes, oregano, thyme, bay leaves, and cayenne pepper to a boil.
Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Add eggplant and beans and
simmer for 25 minutes.

Warning: makes very large amount.  If you make it all, freeze some in
individual serving containers for later meals.

--
Michelle Dick             artemis@xxxxxxxxx              East Palo Alto, CA