Re: Quark

I tasted Quark, in Holland, about a year ago, and it was like a cross
between cream cheese, sour cream and yogurt, but spreadable, like yogurt
cheese. I don't know that it is any different than yogurt cheese. It is
fermented milk, like yogurt or sour cream, but I don't know what
enzyme/bacteria is used.  I've seen recipes that use yogurt as a  starter
and others using buttermilk. You can control the fat content by using lower
fat milk as the base; this will also affect the thickness.

Check out this site for more history, info, & recipes:

        http://www.german-usa.com/recipes/hints/quark.html

Karen