Recipe: Spicy Chickpeas and Spinach

Mmmmm.  I just made my first recipe using harissa (the one previously
posted).  It is soooo good.  I'm cooking my way through Gabe Mirkin's
book and the first thing I am going to have to remember is: halve the
recipes!  His make *huge* amounts.  I already adapted his slightly:
doubled the harissa and cut out 2 carrots (I'm not a big carrot fan).
It was a little soupy, so I suggest draining two of the cans of
chickpeas and adding the liquid from them as needed.  I recommend that
first time you make this, make 1/2 to 1/3 of the recipe, unless you
want a lot of food.  If you like carrots, you can add a few more.
This dish does not come out very hot.  Here's the version I made:

SPICY CHICKPEAS AND SPINACH

1 large onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 carrots, thinly sliced (use a japanese benriner if you have one)
1 cup stock or bouillon (I used 1 cup water plus 1 vegetarian bouillon
                         cube)
1 t harissa
3 cans chickpeas. undrained
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lb fresh spinach, rinsed well, torn in pieces

Put onion, garlic, carrots, stock, and harissa in a huge pot.  A large
enameled cast iron pot is perfect.  Bring to a boil.  Then lower heat
and simmer till carrots are cooked through and most of the liquid
absorbed, about 20 minutes.  Add chickpeas, cilantro, and spinach and
cook till spinach is wilted and reduced, about 5 minutes.

Serve immediately with brown rice or couscous.  Pass extra harissa at
the table for those who want it hotter.

Michelle Dick
artemis@xxxxxxxxxxx