Soup recipes

Even though my kids don't eat soup as yet,  soup is still my husband's and my
 favorite meal during these chilly times in New Hampshire. (Especially
tonight, sleet, rain, and downright cold.) I'm hoping my kids get out of this
stage where almost all their food has to be separate.

Split Pea Soup

2-1/2 cups split peas
1 large onion, chopped
1-1/2 cups carrots, diced
1 cup celery, plus tops, diced
1/2 cup minced parsley
1 bay leaf
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp black pepper
veggie broth  to cover (you may want to add extra as soup cooks)
salt to taste
1-1/2 cups potatoes, diced

Put everything together in a large pot and cook until pwqas and potaoes are
tender.
Note: you can substitute 1/2 cup barley for the potatoes.

Miso Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 daikon, diced (or a turnip)
2 to 3 carrots, diced
1/2 head cabbage, shredded
2 tb wakame (seaweed), soaked in boiling water & chopped
4 tb barley miso
1-1/2 tb basil
1 tsp marjoram

Put everything together in a large pot except miso. Cook until the vegetables
are tender, Take a small amount of hot liquid from the pot and gradually stir
into the miso. then add to the pot. Warm gently without boiling and serving.

Note: If you are unable to find wakame, you can also use hijiki (spelling?),
kombu, or arame. You should be able to find one of these in your local NFS or
Oriental grocery.

Czechoslovakian Cabbage Soup

1 cup chopped onions
3 carrots, chopped
1 bay leaf
1 cup aduki beans, soaked overnight (or red beans)
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp paprika
8 cups water
1 medium cabbage, coarsely shredded
two one lb cans tomatoes
salt to taste
1/2 to 3/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup chopped parsley
3 tb lemon juice
3 tb honey
1 pkg or 1 can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
FF sour cream (optional)

In a large pot, bring herbs & spices, water, cabbage, tomatoes, salt, beans,
and pepper sauce to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours. Add parsley,
lemon juice, honey and sauerkraut. Cook, covered for 1 hour. Serve with FF
sour cream.
Enjoy, Jan Bennicoff