Flax gloop recipe

Yup,
I suspect that it is the protein (plus or minus starch) based mucilage
around the flax seeds that is being hydrated. (First year botony was a long
time ago - I'm really a molecular biologist...). Lots of slimey textured
veggies have this sort of mucilage - a good example is seaweeds, or even
okra.  I know a couple of people who use this slime as a skin treatment.

Flax seeds are being recommended by nutrionists because they are rich in
Omega-3's.  {I won't continue because this is off topic}.

Barley and veggies.
500 g barley (unpearled)
Enough good veggie stock to cover.
1 Chopped onion
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (parsley, basil, corrander, thyme etc etc)

Microwave the barley and stock for 30 minutes (check packet directions for
amount of liquid - it is really variable.  2 stock for 1 barley seems to
work.)  Liquid should be fully absorbed.  Add veggies and nuke another 5
minutes.  Then add the fresh herbs and serve.  This makes a nice change
from rice!