Potato salad and cast iron skillets

This post is for Sal who was looking for a potato salad recipe. Now,
this is one of my very favorite foods and before I went vegan, I could
eat my grandmothers potato salad every day it was so good.
Unfortunately, her recipe was not only not vegan but very high in fat
(she used mayo in addition to Marzetti's salad dressing!) . Anyway, when
I went vegan, I swore that one of the first adaptations I would make
would be potato salad so here is what I came up with. Since I am als a
"throw some of this, some of that in" cook, these measurements are very
approximate. Especially since one of the great things about potato salad
is that almost anything can go into it. Be creative!!!

Jerry's Potato Salad

2 lbs washed, cooked, UNpeeled small             white and
or red potatoes (get them           organic if possible!
1 c. fat free nayonaise
2 tbsp german mustard
1 medium onion, diced
1/4 c. chopped roasted red peppers (in a        jar, NOT packed in oil!,
or you can             roast your own
2 tbsp (or more) dill (fresh is best!)
lots of fresh ground pepper
salt to taste

boil the potatoes for about 8-10 minutes or until JUST tender (stick 'em
with a fork - if it goes in easily, they're done). Rinse with cold water
until you can handle them without burning your fingers. Dice into bite
size pieces and add everything else.  Mix thoroughly and voila!
    Now, you'll be tempted to eat this right away but if you cover it
and put it in the fridge and eat the NEXT day, you're really in for a
treat. My grandmother always said that potato salad was one of those
things thats always better the next day and she's right!

NOW about cast iron skillets - I use mine for making pancakes!  No other
pan seems to turn them out as nicely. Here is the recipe I got off the
back of a box of Egg Replacer:

Egg replacer pancakes

1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1 1/4 c. milk (I use WestSoy fat free               vanilla)
1 tsp Egg replacer mixed with
   1 tbsp. water

Stir flour and salt together.  Beat in milk, and egg replacer/water
mixture until batter is smooth.  Turn the heat under your skillet on
high. Now here is where pure luck comes in - spray your skilllet with
just a SMIDGE of fat free cooking spray before each pancake.  Ladle into
the skillet about 3 tbsp. (best to judge by eye depending on size of
pancake you want) of batter and let cook until the edge JUST starts to
turn golden brown or until you can put your spatula under the pancake.
(about 45 seconds).  Flip and cook on other side for about 30 seconds.
THIS TAKES PRACTICE to get right and your first few pancakes may be
burned or deformed, but you'll get the hang of it and usually the 5th
pancake is perfect :-) . Remember to keep a constant eye on these as
they cook quickly.  Good luck and healthy eating!!

   Jerry Brick (of Banana Bonanza Bread                   fame)