NO WHEAT: Soy Sauce substitute?

My mother is staying with us after some surgeries, and I've modified my
cooking because she's got celiac disease (gluten intolerance). This means
no gluten, so no wheat, oats, rye or most other grains. Corn, rice and
potatoes are okay. It's amazing how widely wheat is used in foodstuffs --
for example, most vinegars are distilled from wheat products (okay forms
are rice vinegar from rice and balsamic vinegar from grapes).

What can I substitute for soy sauce, which I understand has wheat in it? I
tried oyster sauce, but found it to be a bland replacement. Thanks, Elsa
(cross-posted to eat-lf and fat-free lists)

Elsa Kapitan-White <kapitan-white@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Schlumberger Oilfield Marketing Services
225 Schlumberger Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77478
(281)285-7563, fax -8545