Re: NYC

New York City has many good vegetarian restaurants--getting truly FF
food seems very tough.

The one place I can think of that might truly qualify recently went out
of business but a satellite branch might still be around: Souen, 28 E
13TH ST 212-627-7150. It is macrobiotic. I would also seriously consider
any of the many really good Japanese restaurants in town if you're
really serious about avoiding fat and calories.

Here are my three favorites:
Probably the best one is Angelica's Kitchen in the East Village, (300 E
12TH ST, btw 2nd Ave. & 1st Aves. 212-228-2909) which is vegan,
quasi-macro and very creative but a little pricey. Very beautiful
interior. Has the unusual (for New York) feature of a communal eating
table). Be prepared to wait on a major line if you go from 7:00 pm -
10:00 pm (we New Yorkers eat late). I would hesitate to bring SAD people
here--it's hardcore natural.

Quantum Leap (88 W 3RD ST 212-677-8050) in the center of the Village
near NYU is also very good and has a mix of vegan and ovo-lacto. The
menu, like most non-vegan veggie places, does not take calories and fat
heavily into consideration. They have killer tofu pies (not FF but
pretty healthy). Non-vegetarians will like their pseudo-Mexican dishes.

Lastly, Spring Street Natural at 62 Spring Street (at Lafayette Street)
(212) 966-0290 is vegetarian-oriented and always has a great daily
vegetarian special. This is the best place to take a mixed group and
they have excellent, excellent fish dishes.

If you are feeling adventurous and willing to go to a more far flung
part of town, I'd look into some of NYC's excellent and inexpensive
ethnic restaurants. I particularly like Ethopian food which has many
wonderful vegetarian standards. Southern Indian food also is very
vegi-oriented and a cluster of restaurants are in Little India around
Lexington Avenue in the upper 20s. Another ethnic suggestion is to have
Chinese "Buddhist" cuisine at Vegetarian's Paradise on 33 Mott St. in
Chinatown (right below Canal St.). I haven't eaten there recently but
it's sounds like it's still very good.

Monica Berger
mberger@xxxxxxxxx