Re: Eggplant

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Jere Mahon wrote:

> Can anyone pass on hints for cooking
> eggplant? I tried to add some to
> veggie lasagna last night and it was horrible.
> I was experimenting, so it might have just
> been me, but any guidance on this would
> be greatly appreciated. TIA
>
> jeremy

Here's a recipe for Mushroom Moussaka, adapted to be ff from Mollie
Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook (new revised edition).  (I left out the
bechamel sauce for it to be fatfree, although I'll bet you could use a
ff nutritional yeast sauce instead).

3 medium eggplants (you don't have to peel them)
salt

small amount broth (such as vegetable broth) 2 Tbs to 1/2 c.
2 c. chopped onion
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 lbs or more coarsely chopped mushrooms
5 medium cloves garlic
1 14 1/2 oz. can tomatoes, undrained
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tsp. cinnamon
black pepper
1 tsp. each oregano and basil (I would add even more)
1 packed cup fresh minced parsley
1/2 c. fine bread crumbs + extra

Slice eggplants into 1/4" thick rounds.  Salt the slices lightly on both
sides and layer in a colander and place over a sink or bowl (this gets rid
of the bitter taste) for 20 to 30 minutes.  (Mollie at this point tells
you to oil a baking sheet and bake them at 375 F until tender, but I
skipped this step and it was ok - plus no oil!).

Mushroom-Tomato sauce:

In the broth wet saute onions and salt over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes
(until onions are translucent).  Add mushrooms and garlic, stir, and
cover.  Cook over medium heat another 8 to 10 minutes.  Add tomatoes,
tomato paste, cinnamon, pepper (to taste), oregano, and basil, breaking
tomatoes into smaller chunks with a spoon.  Bring to a boil, then lower
heat and simmer uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in
parsley and bread crumbs.

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Place a double layer of eggplant slices on the
bottom of a deep baking pan (at least 9x13").  Add all of mushroom sauce,
and lay remaining eggplant slices on top.  Ladle nutritional yeast sauce
on top, if desired, and top with those extra breadcrumbs.  Bake uncovered
for 35 to 40 minutes until bubbly on the bottom and lightly browned on the
top.

I, personally, thought this dish was a tad bland, so you may want to
adjust the spices in the mushroom sauce before you add it to the baking
pan.