Re: eggplant

On Mon 12 Apr 1999, Jenka Guevara <jguevara@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi to all!  Yes it is me.

Jenka! Good to see you on the list again. I've been lurking, too :-)
Just too busy to post, it seems.

> I went to a restaurant and got something they called eggplant caviar
> They mentioned it had some olive oil (which I would remove) garlic
> and I do not know what else.  It was served instead of butter with
> the bread.

I made something very similar to this earlier tonight, coincidentally.

Put one or two aubergines (eggplants) under the grill, or in the oven,
until they're soft and collapsed, then scoop out the middles and throw
away the skin.

Now, it's up to you what you put in it! Ground cumin, ground
coriander, ground fenugreek, paprika, chilli powder, fresh garlic,
fresh onion, fresh parsley or coriander (cilantro) are all good. Fresh
lemon juice is a must. Just add these things to taste, and whizz the
mixture in a blender, or even just mash it. A pinch of salt brings out
the flavour.

If you let the skins blacken you will get a smokier taste; if you
don't, it will be more mellow. Both are nice. This dip tastes really
rich, even with no added fat; I never put olive oil, but sometimes a
bit of tahini. I doubt you could stick in much tahini without going
beyond list guidelines of 10%CFF though, as the rest of the dish is so
low in calories.

Kate