Re: sugar

Neil-

It is my understanding that only a small percentage of refined sugar is processed with bone derived charcoal, or bone char, which serves as a bleaching agent. However, if you wish to
play it safe, I suggest buying unrefined turbinado sugar, or raw sugar.  I think turbinado sugar is easily used in place of refined sugar- I baked with it this past holiday season and I
have even used it in making bread. I use it in my tea or coffee every morning and I notice no difference at all.  In fact, I like the taste of turbinado a little bit more.