Re: FATFREE Digest V00 #26

In a message dated 1/26/2000 6:21:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
fatfree-request@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
 In our local store there is a variety of tofu, soft, medium and firm. Could
you
 help me understand why one would press it if it already offered
commercially? I
 understand the price increases along with the firmness of the tofu; is price
the
 only consideration for pressing your own? >>

One presses Tofu, and yes I would start with the firm kind, in order to get
rid of the water in it. For 2 reasons I can think of immediately. One, is to
facilitate a marinade, soaking in. The water,.dilutes the marinade. The
second, is to make it more firm for slicing , and grilling...Either wya, all
you are doing, is pressing out water. Even in the firm, there is a lot of
water, cause thats how it is stored...and kept fresh.. If you've  opened your
Tofu, and still have it in the fridge, you need to change the water
periodically..Once a day for example, to keep the Tofu fresh.
                         Merrick