muffins

Sorry -- no recipe for peach muffins (although you might be able to get it by asking the food
editor of your local paper to ask -- restaurant owners are usually happy for the publicity), but I
do have a couple of ff recipes for muffins made with other fruits you can get fresh this time of
year. They are from a wonderful resource that I use a lot -- "Secrets of Fat-Free Cooking" by
Sandra Woodruff.

For Cranberry Apple Muffins:
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup + 2 TBSP apple juice
2 egg whites, lightly beaten (or equivalent egg replacer)
1 cup finely chopped apple (about 1-1/2 medium apples)
1/3 cup chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup golden raisins (I have used regular raisin, dates, chopped dried plums -- whatever I had
in the pantry -- and they still taste great)

For Fresh Pear Muffins:
1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat bran
1/3 cup sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup pear nectar
2 egg whites, lightly beaten (or equivalent egg replacer)
3/4 cup finely chopped pear (about 1 medium)
1/4 cup dark raisins or chopped walnuts

For both: Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Add the wet ingredients and
the fresh fruit and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the dried fruit
and/or nuts. Coat muffin cups with cooking spray and fill to 3/4 with batter. Bake at 350 degrees
for about 15 minutes, or just until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out
clean. Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes before serving.

My kids love both these recipes, even though they won't touch a cranberry in any other venue.
Enjoy!
Joyce/Portland