Re: Cornstarch

At 4/25/2001 01:35 AM, you wrote:

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 06:48:17 -0500
From: "Robin Blair" <melidee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "thicken" a sauce?  I am =
a vegan, so I have been trying to use things like corn starch, but every =
time I try it, the corn starch is very lumpy and doesn't dissolve well.  =
When I can get it to dissolve, and there are no lumps, it doesn't =
thicken!  Does anyone have a better way or any good recipes?
Thank you so much!

Robin, the key is to whisk the cornstarch with a small amount of liquid to prevent lumps from forming and, as Persian said, to get it to thicken it must be heated. Arrowroot also works the same way but doesn't add a starchy taste.
Good luck,
Karen