Chow chow recipes

Hi, all,

I was browsing recipes on the 'net and came across these, remembering our
recent requests for explanation (I confess I didn't know what it was, either).
Our resident southerners can tell us how "genuine" these really are, but I
thought some of you might be interested in making one or all of them.

Posted by:  SueA, CA (00:58:43 am) :

GENUINE CHOW CHOW

2 quarts (1/4 peck) green beans
1 large head cauliflower, separated into flowerets
3 cups shelled fresh lima beans
3 cups fresh whole kernel corn
1 quart onions, chopped
5 green peppers, chopped
2 quarts (1/4 peck) green tomatoes, chopped
3 quarts cider vinegar
4 cups sugar
1/2 cup salt
2 tablespoons celery seed
2 tablespoons yellow mustard seed
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoons dry mustard

Cut beans into 1/2-inch pieces. Cook beans, cauliflower, lima beans and corn
separately in boiling water until just tender. Drain. Mix the onions,
peppers and tomatoes with the cooked vegetables in a large kettle. Bring the
vinegar to a boil in a separate pan and stir in a mixture of the sugar,
salt, celery seed, mustard seed, turmeric and dry mustard. Pour vinegar over
vegetables, bring to a boil and cook 20 to 25 minutes, or until thoroughly
heated, stirring occasionally. Pour into heated jars and seal.

Makes about 12 pints

SWEET CHOW CHOW

12 green tomatoes
1 medium head of cabbage
7 medium white onions
12 green bell peppers
6 red bell peppers
1/2 cup salt
6 cups sugar
1 tablespoon celery seed
2 tablespoons mustard seed
1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
4 cups pure apple vinegar
2 cups water

Grind tomatoes, cabbage, onions, green peppers and red peppers into large
pan. Add salt and let stand overnight. Rinse and drain. Put into large
kettle. Add remaining ingredients, heat to boiling. Boil for 8 minutes,
stirring constantly. Pour into hot sterilized jars; seal. Let stand at least
2 weeks before opening.

Makes 7 pints

For hot Chow Chow, add 10 hot peppers and 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper.

 From Come Into the Kitchen with Jackie