re: How about some recipes?

Okay, Sue, you've got a good point. I am emerging from lurk mode with an idea for your dried
shiitakes.  I used to serve this when I catered dinners at a bed & breakfast in West Virginia.
This is a seat-of-the-pants recipe, I've put rough quantities in as a starting point..

Brown Rice- Wheat Berry Pilaf with Shiitake Mushrooms

Soak a handful of dried shiitake mushrooms in boiling water to cover for 10 to 15 minutes.
Drain, reserving the liquid; set mushrooms aside. Use the soaking liquid to cook 1 cup brown
rice - adding water as necessary. Cook rice according to package directions.  At the same time,
boil a cup of wheat berries in 2 cups of water until tender but still chewy, about 45 minutes.
If in doubt, undercook - for me the appeal is in the chewinesss of the berries.
While the grains are cooking, chop the shiitakes - 1/4" dice.
Combine the grains and chopped mushrooms, adding Yoshida's Sauce* or Teriyaki Sauce to taste -
I usually add about 1/4 cup.
I used to make this in very large quantities, and it holds very well, covered, in a 350F oven.

 *Yoshida's Sauce is a teriyaki-like sauce sold at Price Club and Sam's Club in half-gallons.
Great combination of flavors, it'll wake up anything you pour it on.